Advice please, D80 upgrade

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Craftsman70 Regular Member • Posts: 154
Re: Advice please, D80 upgrade

People sometimes get too caught up in what's new and the latest in order to a relatively small increase in performance for a large increase in price.  In moving from a D80 to a D7200, most people will see a night and day different for all features/functions that most people will use.  In going to something like a D7500, yes, the performance will be even better but compared to the giant jump in performance from the D80 to the D7200, the performance jump would seem incremental at best.

As for price, you should be able to get a D7200 in great shape (under 10,000 actuations) for less than $500 without trying too hard. Recently I purchased a used D7200 in great shape (8,000 actuations) with a couple of batteries as well for $530 Canadian (or about $380 USD).  I would doubt that you can get a D7500 refurb in that price range.  And if anyone can, please share the link!

As for the lens, the old 18-55mm was a pretty good lens as all of those small zoom kit lenses from Nikon are.  However, if I was going to get one today, I would look at the AF-P replacement which can be found for a bargain price in the US for $70.  With excellent focusing speed, quiet focus, and sharp optics, it's a quick little upgrade from what you have now.  Of course, you can also move up to something like the 16-85mm for a reasonable price or for a little less the 18-140mm.

Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow