ND Filter Questions

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JaySun17
JaySun17 Regular Member • Posts: 131
ND Filter Questions

Hi everyone,

During a photography outing a couple of days ago, I was quite keen to try some more slow shutter speed shooting of a daytime. It didn't take long for me to determined that no matter how much I dialled down the aperture & ISO, on a bright day my shots were blowing out at <1-2"s

It seems that if I want to pursue this type of photography, then a set of ND filters is the answer. Looking at a set of five, that offers 1,2,3,6 & 10 stops of reduction.

Using two Nikkor DX kit lenses (18-55mm & 70-300mm), I have discovered that the end-diameter is different between them. One is 55mm and the other is 58mm. That explains why the damn lens caps are not interchangable !

So........ if one is to go for ND Filters to accommodate both lens diameters, is there a suggested preference to go large, and use a step-down ring, or go small, and use a step-up ring ?

As a new camera owner, it's hard to say which lens I would use more often, so far they're both getting equal amounts of time on camera.

This is the filter set I am looking at:

https://mygobe.com/58mm-nd-family-filter-kit-2peak.html

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow