Why does Lightroom's "Auto" feature always change the exposure?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 1,558
Re: Why does Lightroom's "Auto" feature always change the exposure?

In addition to what's already been said:

When it adjusts all of the other values (black / white, shadow / highlight, contrast, color saturation, etc.), it is also changing luminescence values. That's going to change the base exposure value.

Try this:

1. Without hitting AUTO, slide the exposure value up until the over-exposure indicator lights up. Note the exposure value, then reset to zero.
  2. Adjust a bunch of other things to taste (or hit AUTO), then see if the exposure over indicator lights up at the same place. It probably will not.

Another thing I found: if I find black/white points pre-AUTO (shift-doubleclick on slider handle), then hit AUTO and check the black/white points again, they may adjust to different values.

Also: when I hit AUTO, it often adjusts exposure, but not 100% of the time as you stated. Usually, but not always.

Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow