Point and shoot camera comparison 2008 vs 2019. I was surprised.

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
recklessrickftw Junior Member • Posts: 32
Point and shoot camera comparison 2008 vs 2019. I was surprised.

I have a canon powershot a720 point and shoot that I bought when our first child was born. I just bought a used Olypmus tough tg-6 about 3 months ago because I wanted more than my iphone 7s is offering me in features/control and thought I'd get a nice step up in terms of IQ from that old canon as far as something I can have in my pocket.

I have to say, aside from noise (and resolution difference), that canon camera from 2008 still looks darn good (and has 6x zoom vs 4x on the oly)! I think it's sharper out of the camera (with same photo settings) vs the oly but the oly does quite a bit of noise reduction which would reduce the sharpness. It's honestly to the point where I might sell the tough tg-6 and just keep using the little canon for my pocket camera. I don't take the tough in the water so that't wasn't a big draw... I bought it for a worry free camera I can take to the farm in the dust, on a hike, when I'm biking to work in the rain, out in the winter in the snow, etc.

Aside from the rain, the canon can do all that and if it breaks from dust or something, I can probably just grab another used P&S to replace it for under $100 if the quality hasn't changed that much in the non-sony rx1000 market.

I really expected more out of this new olympus P&S for the price but I guess that cost for oly went into making the camera a veritable tank vs a 1" sensor competitor. This oly is built really well, I have to say, it's quite impressive.

Anyone else do a comparison between and old P&S and a new one they have? I am quite shocked...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow