OP Vossing Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: New iMac, which one ?

LarryRC wrote:

LarryRC wrote:

Handsome90 wrote:

Vossing wrote:

New 27-inch iMac Retina 5K

• Standard glass
  • 3.8GHz 8-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
  • 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • Radeon Pro 5500 XT with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 1TB SSD storage
  • Gigabit Ethernet

or this one:

• Standard glass
  • 3.6GHz 10-core 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
  • 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • Radeon Pro 5500 XT with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 1TB SSD storage
  • Gigabit Ethernet

Same price on both.

Will use it with Photoshop CC (using a sony a7R4).
And some simple video editing.

Which one should I choose?

Do you have to buy one now or are you willing to wait for the Apple chips?

Buy the 10 core machine. Get after market memory to save lots on user upgradable memory. Max tech or owc and others have videos on how much and ho to install. I purchased my 2019 imac with 8GB and added 2 32GB modukes for 74GB total. Works great.

Turns out that this memory configuration wont work at full speed on the imac 2020. Apple has updated their memory upgrade page and there are lots of posts in macrumors forums.Having received an offer to buy a demo-used iMac Pro from an Apple store at the same price as the two in the list above, this is something to go for!

Have received an offer to buy a demo-used older iMac Pro (MQ2Y2H/A) from an local Apple store at the same price as the two in the list above, is this something to go for!
Or is it better to go for one of the newer above ?

iMac Pro 27" 5K Retina
3,2 GHz 8-core Intel Xeon W-processor.
32 GB RAM
1 TB SSD
Radeon Pro Vega 56 (8 GB HBM2)

Vossing's gear list:Vossing's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow