Heart (Fujifilm) Vs. The Mind (Full-Frame) - Where do I go from here?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Smiller4128 Contributing Member • Posts: 593
Heart (Fujifilm) Vs. The Mind (Full-Frame) - Where do I go from here?

So, I've got a bit of a dilemma here and could use some advice...

I started my photography path with a Canon T6 and a couple of lenses. It got me hooked! I loved it from the first photograph I took. I stuck it out with that little T6 for years. Then, it took an unfortunate tumble along with my lenses and I was now in the market for a new camera. I immediately looked at Canon again, but thought more of this as an opportunity to try something new. I looked at Nikon, Sony, and Olympus. None really impressed me too much. Then I stumbled upon the Fujifilm X-T1 that was set to release soon and was enthralled by it. I quickly ordered one and fell in love with the camera and the system. Eventually, I grew until I had most of the Fuji lenses, an X-T2, X-Pro 2, and even a little X100S. I LOVED the system. The cameras were built great, the lenses were fantastic, and everything just worked beautifully and I enjoyed my photography so much. I really learned a lot. But then...

I started looking at "Full-Frame"...if you're in photography, you always here that the Full-Frame cameras are the cream of the crop. The best of the best. If you want the best AF, best low-light, best bokeh...you've got to get a full frame. And so...I eventually did. I sold all of my Fujifilm equipment and bought myself the Sony A7III and some lenses and quickly went around shooting with it. I mostly shoot portraits and most of that being at conventions that my wife and her friends dress up in costumes for. Most everyone you run into out there is carrying full frame...in fact, I only recall one person in the years that we've been going who carried a Fujifilm. Full Frame is the way I suppose...

Anyways, fast forward to now...The Pandemic aside, I don't really shoot as much as I use to and, in fact, my enthusiasm for shooting has gone down by quite a bit too. The Sony just doesn't bring me the same pleasurable shooting experience that the Fuji did. I think part of the problem is that I spend WAY too much time trying to decide on which lens to get, do I like it? Maybe I should try that one from the other brand? Ok, now I have to compare them...it's exhausting. It feels more like work or a chore than to simply decide "Ok, I need this focal length, there's only one option let's buy it". That;s how it was with me and my Fujiifilm gear. And what was so great was that the lenses are made by Fujifilm and so I know, right off the bat, that the lens was going to be AMAZING in build quality and IQ. Also, the dials. Man, do I miss the dials. It was SO simple to quickly adjust settings. So old-school, engaging, simple and yet, effective to use. Just a preference , but man was it great!

Now, I sit here and wonder if I made a huge mistake in switching. For the most part, it sounds like I did right? So switch back, right?...*sigh*...I'm afraid my mind won't make it that easy for me. For some reason, I *think* I still need a Full Frame for ultimate IQ, sharpness, etc. I've begun looking at the Canon R6. It looks like an incredible little camera with some big plusses. The high resolution swivel-screen, the high resolution EVF, the fact that the sensor is covered when it's off and you want to switch lenses (Small plus, but why can't everyone do this!?) and the lenses....oh man those lenses are a thing of beauty! The primes are F1.2 and SHARP! but also...big, heavy and cost more than most mirrorless cameras. But at the same time, if there are limited lens choices that actually helps me with the way my crazy mind works. I could start with the 50mm F1.2 and 15-35mm f2.8 and cover most of my shooting needs that way. But again...I'm looking at $6500+ and that's not even for the R5....ok so what do I do? Maybe wait for the Sony A7IV? I could...it'll likely have all the same upgrades but the experience will be the exact same as I've had with the A7III....perhaps I should just keep trying with it?

Well, now we come to the point where I've been thinking of Fuji again. The X-T4 is out. It has IBIS which my last Fuji did not. It has a higher resolution rear screen (not as high as the R6, but that's ok). It still has the biggest EVF I've ever used. And most important to me, ther's now the 50mm F1.0 lens. A 75mm f1.5 Full-Frame equivalent if I'm not mistaken? It's bigger than if I were to get the new Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN for my Sony as I've thought about getting that lens recently too. But...it's typical Fujifilm excellence coming from this new lens and I have no doubt it would be extremely pleasing to use. And, The X-T4 and 50mm F1.0  would bring it into the same performance of my Sony right now, right? Hmmm....

So, I'm not too sure where to go from here. Fuji has my heart for sure. It was, by far, the most pleasurable shooting experience that I've ever had and really got me into photography and got me out wanting to shoot. But, I just can't seem to get away from the idea that "Full Frame is best"...I suppose, in terms of bokeh, sharpness, and IQ it is. But actually using it, has not. But maybe I just haven't given my Sony a proper chance? I dunno. I WISH Fujifilm would just break into the Full Frame Market!!! They would absolutely DOMINATE the whole market...I have no doubts about that. I'm hoping the $1500 50mm f1.0 lens that they announced and seem to be having trouble keeping up with demand, will show them people are willing to pay Full Frame lens pricing and get them thinking about it. Back to my dilemma though, I just don't know if I stick with Full-Frame (my mind) or go back to what I loved using with Fujifilm (Heart). Any recommendations?

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +3 more
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS Rebel T6 (EOS 1300D) Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow