Is there a Minimal Focus Shift Macro Lens for Sony?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mbo27 Regular Member • Posts: 264
Is there a Minimal Focus Shift Macro Lens for Sony?

Just purchased a Laowa 100mm f/2.0 macro lens for Sony. No complains so far after my first outing on usability and quality BUT one major flaw that stood out was the lens "horrendous" focus shift which make it useless for focus stacking - specially when trying to achieve the 2X magnification (the reason I selected this lens for).

The 3 shots below were composed of 12 shots - manually focus-stacked (camera on tripod). The final output (using Photoshop) show the trails of the focus shifting requiring an overall crop of probably at least 20%..

I'm not new to macro photography and I've tried several macro lenses before but never seen such behavior.

I would like input on the other 2 remaining macro lenses on the Sony platform: the Voigtlander 110 macro and the Sony 90mm macro. For those who've used either of these two, do they exhibit similar strong focus shift to the Laowa?

Thanks

PS. It is funny that when I went back and googled the several reviews online, none but Philip Reeves mentions this albeit as a minor thing "One final thing to note is that there is a touch of focus shift in the macro range"

First photo of the stack (12 shots)

Last photo of the stack. Notice by how much the photo has been cropped

Stacked result. Note blurry edges due to focus shift that need to be cropped

mbo27's gear list:mbo27's gear list
Sony a7R IV Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow