Are phone lenses actually sharper than most ILC lenses?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NixonS Regular Member • Posts: 218
Are phone lenses actually sharper than most ILC lenses?

Hi all,

Recently I was having an argument with some random on Reddit like you do (or like I do), and it was about this claim this person made saying that modern flagship phone lenses are actually way sharper than most interchangeable lenses. I didn't believe it, asked him to prove (in an admittedly, not so nice way) and it just ended with him saying 'do your own research' which I take as a sign that someone doesn't actually know what they're talking about. Soon after, some other Reddit users joined the thread line to verify what he said in a much more polite, informative way.

My question is, are they right? Because my maths is terrible I can't say for sure if they're correct or not. And I'm not sure how to interpret MTF charts.

Keep in mind I'm not trying to start any arguments here. I do admit that I have become a little bit snobbish with my camera gear, but I'm also happy to be proven wrong here if it means I get something out of it through learning something new.

Original comment I replied to

NixonS's gear list:NixonS's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow