Is auto focus fine tuning being done too much?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,018
Is auto focus fine tuning being done too much?

I am an experienced photographer since the late 60's and have been digital for many years.  I am to the point of letting the images tell the story of whether the camera needs auto fine tuning.  Heck, most f1.4 lenses don't have perfect image quality anyway.  I have adjusted my long lenses by mainly going out and shooting real subjects, then adjusting for my most photographed subjects.

There so many variables when adjusting the auto focus that I am assuming many people especially new people to digital photography can get it wrong and actually reduce the image quality.

I would like to know other photographers experience with auto focus fine tune and due to the variables is it worth spending an endless amount of time on?  It seems to me that a lot of fast lenses do not focus accurately every time at wide open apertures.

Maybe its better to send a lens and camera off for repair or adjustment if the focus is not right?

Oh, bring some water to western Oregon, we are down to less than a quarter mile of sight distance through the smoke and the air is hazardous.

Thanks

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow