Relative value new R MICL vs old DSLR

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Malachi42 Forum Member • Posts: 59
Re: Relative value new R MICL vs old DSLR

I'd focus more on the glass than the camera. Five, ten, fifteen years from now, they'll still be using the glass they buy today, assuming they buy quality glass, but they won't be using the camera they buy today.

That is certainly true in my case. I switched to Canon back in 2004, so I have a good collection of EF lenses. Today, I still use all that glass, but I rarely ever use any of the cameras I bought from back then (5D and 20D).

So, I'm going to go off the beaten path and suggest the RP. It's a perfectly capable still photographer's camera that can make use of quality, used EF glass, while opening the door to the RF line up.

Of course, if there are certain features that are absolute requirements, like 50 MP or 12 FPS, then obviously it's not the right camera. But, for anyone who can make do with it's perfectly good capabilities, it's a great gateway camera. The $1500 (R6) to $2400 (R5) you save, for an R-series camera you can actually put your hands on today, can go towards some good quality glass.

Anyway, just another perspective.

Malachi42's gear list:Malachi42's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS M3 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow