Does A UV Filter Affect Image Quality?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
OP bcalvanese Forum Member • Posts: 62
Re: Does A UV Filter Affect Image Quality?

Thanks for all the replies, and they gave me a lot to think about. I also did a little research of my own.

lenses are tougher than filters

a broken UV filter can scratch the lens

some lenses are not weather sealed (should probably use a filter in harsher conditions)

UV filters do affect the image to some degree

lens hood is probably better protection than a UV filter (except with a non weather sealed lens in harsher conditions)

my camera is weather sealed, and I want the best possible images and I always keep the lens hood on my camera (even in the case). I also have a cleaning pen in my camera bag which has a brush on one end and cleaning tip on the other end along with a micro fiber cloth. I think brushing the lens before cleaning it should prevent any scuffs or scratches from sand/salt/etc...

I have removed the UV filter, and now feel that just keeping the lens hood on and getting in the habit of using the brush on the lens before using the cleaning tip or cloth to wipe it should be fine.

I also have the BestBuy 3 year coverage, so if anything happens they will repair/replace for free.

Thanks again,

Bob

bcalvanese's gear list:bcalvanese's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow