new pentax crop body from a birders perspective

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
breeze_of_wind
breeze_of_wind Senior Member • Posts: 1,332
Re: new pentax crop body from a birders perspective

KiloHotelphoto wrote:

I really don't expect them to try and get a auto focus system to compete with Canon, Nikon or Sony. I'm sure they will improve what they have but I don't think they have the demand for it.

Sports and wildlife are the main needs for a fast accurate tracking auto focus system and Pentax doesn't offer the lenses for that type of shooting. They don't have a 300/2.8, 400/2.8, 500/4, 600/4, 200-400/4 with a built in TC. Those types of lenses aren't on the road map and they probably don't have the customers willing to spend over $10,000 on a lens. So why spend to much money trying to get to the auto focus level of others.

Pentax is a portrait, landscape, city, astro type shooting brand.

This is a key point of transition for Pentax.  The K1 II meets the needs you list.   Will their new camera just do more of the same or will they give a try at doing something new.  If new, I am in for the camera and probably two lenses (one being the 85mm that I have held off buying).  If they do not break new ground, as a loyal user I have no need to buy their new product.  Sorry, but I move on.  I can see where they may want to have two superb cameras-- full frame and not -- that does about the same.  I can just hear the case being made.  But there is another side, and many of us have pushed the case -- whether for sports, birds, or other action.  Great to be on a bird shoot and taking shots of birds in the water, in trees, etc -- but then they move, those beauties open their wings,, run on their feet, etc -- and we want to catch that as well,  Oh well, I am sure the issue has crossed their minds.  Hopefully they listen.  And as to needed lenses we have the Pentax 150-450 and the Sigma 500 (which still exists in the secondary market, and there is nothing to prevent Pentax from releasing a 200-600.  Oh well, fingers crossed.

john morris

breeze_of_wind's gear list:breeze_of_wind's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow