First time shooting landscape and structures

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Merlin5 Regular Member • Posts: 317
First time shooting landscape and structures

Hi guys. I'm brand new to shooting landscape and architecture so would really appreciate your comments and critique. Here are two photos I took yesterday,

First question is, is a telecommunications tower photographed the way I did by standing at the bottom and pointing up at it something people might be interested in seeing? For me, it was mostly testing to see what I could get from shooting it and I've also never shot in smaller apertures yet. I like the way it looks, the colours, textures of the concrete, and the detail of all the cables and bits and pieces. Is this something that others like to look at or is it a complete waste of time? It's the first time I've shot anything turning my camera sideways to portrait. I clearly didn't get my levelling correct as it should be absolutely vertical. More like the leaning tower of Pisa! I tried levelling in lightroom but reframing it vertically means cutting off a lot of the image. But does a mistake like that give any aesthetic value to it anyway, or not? And if I bought a wide angle lens, I'm considering a Tamron 17-35mm, would I be able to fit more of the tower in? I was only able to get approximately the top half in using my 50mm lens.

Second photo is a my first ever attempt at landscape. It looked boring out of the camera but I think I've made something nicer out of it in lightroom. I've tried to bring the clouds out, they were hardly visible in the raw image. Is this photo any good in terms of interest value or complete rubbish? Be as honest as you like. I noticed some faint spots in the sky, I think my sensor needs cleaning.

Thanks for any advice.

Merlin5's gear list:Merlin5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a6600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow