Z cameras - fun to use?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
farmer35 Contributing Member • Posts: 908
Z cameras - fun to use?

I’m considering buying a Z5. I’ve been an Olympus micro four thirds user for a number of years now. I’ve gravitated to preferring manual lenses, mostly adapted SLR and rangefinder lenses. It’s about the enjoyment of photography for me, not looking for a professional tool. I’m not at all unhappy with my old E-M1 but find myself increasingly curious about exploring the wider side of photography, something I can’t do with the smaller sensor and old lenses.

So I’ve been keeping my eye on full frame cameras for a while. I live in a camera store desert so I can’t really try them out. While it is certainly not unanimous, I’ve read from too many people that the Sony cameras take great pictures but can be frustrating to use. The Canon RP has a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 with no image stabilization so it doesn’t interest me. I’m sure the Panasonic S5 is a fine camera but the choices they made are aimed at someone other than me.

I don’t really care about what native lenses a system has as I will be adapting the manual lenses I already have. I don’t care about advanced video features, don’t really care much about burst speeds either. I do care about a good viewfinder and good image stabilization so the choices Nikon made to keep the costs down on the Z5 are appealing to me. So one of the remaining questions I have is will I find it enjoyable to use? I understand this is all subjective and that there will be a learning curve with a new camera. So I guess my question is what are your impressions of the fun factor of using the Nikon Z cameras?

-- hide signature --

Bruce Regier

Canon PowerShot S5 IS Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCB
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow