Canon EF 85mm 1.4 vs Samyang RF 85mm 1.4

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ArtHeals
ArtHeals Regular Member • Posts: 225
Re: Canon EF 85mm 1.4 vs Samyang RF 85mm 1.4

I went through the same decision recently, I can't afford any of the EF and RF 85 L's and was very much interested in the samyang but ended up getting a used EF 85/1.8 USM for about $200 as a place holder until the RF 85/2 starts shipping in early November. This 85/1.8 is really an excellent lens, don't go by the price. Now i m not sure if I will get the RF 85/2 until a few real world reviews are posted. That RF 85/2 will have IS, 1:2 macro, same weight and size as the 85/1.8 + Adapter at $600. My main interest in the RF 85/2 is the IS and close focusing distance. I read somewhere the Samyang lens doesn't support some of the in-camera correction features of EOS R & RP. The R system is so new, i would stick to the native RF or EF glass for now.

Don't forget there is a EF 100mm F2 USM as well, its the same size and weight as the EF 85/1.8 USM but a bit sharper and will give you more compression for about $50 more.

ArtHeals's gear list:ArtHeals's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow