Advice please, D80 upgrade

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
naexparvu New Member • Posts: 6
Advice please, D80 upgrade

Hi everyone. I'm after a bit of advice.

I shoot a Nikon D80 with the standard 18-55 kit lens. I use it to do general family photos for our family. I don't try to do any professional photos, but I strive to get as good photos as I can, although is just for us. I always shoot raw and use lightroom and sometimes photoshop for post editing. For best results, I try to stay as close as possible to ISO100. However, we've just returned from our summer holiday where I took some photos at ISO higher than 100 as I wanted to freeze water motion while shooting at golden hour, so not too much light. The ISO uses was nothing crazy, between 320 and 500 which allowed me to increase the shutter speed. When starting editing the photos, I noticed that even at ISO320 or ISO400 the noise was quite bad and when trying to diminish it in lightroom, there was no sharpness left in the photos. That prompted me to think about upgrading my camera and/or lens and that's why I'm after advice.

I did some research and the D7100 looks a very good value, plus there is a Sigma 17-50 F2.8 which looks good. As I don't do any professional photos, I believe the extra cost of the full frame bodies wouldn't be justified, but I might be wrong. Although I'd like to be able to take the camera on holiday and not be nervous all the time that if it goes missing, I'm loosing a fortune.

My question is whether the upgrade to D7100 would give me any noticeable improvement in low light? Would it suffice to upgrade the camera and still use the 18-55 kit lens I've got? Would it be an option to upgrade just the lens and the D80 is good enough? Is the D7100 + Sigma 17-50 a good combo? I'm not after primes as I prefer the convenience of the zooms. I have a 50 mm 1.8 which I use for portraits at kids birthdays, but it never get used other than that, so I'll have to have a zoom.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Nikon D7100 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow