Scanner for old photos and slides?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
OP Fishrman Senior Member • Posts: 1,448
Re: Scanner for old photos and slides?

BillyBobSenna wrote:

Fishrman wrote:

Any experience with what might be a great scanner to use for photos and slides? I have several, actually probably more like thousands to go through and would like to scan and save and share them with some of my relatives. These pics were all taken by my Dad who has been gone about 30 years already and it is a job I would like to get done before it is my time too. I have a printer scanner but it isn't designed specifically for photos and sure isn't for slides. Thanks for any help.

Like you, I acquired a couple thousands slides created by my late father. The slides are from the 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's. I came close to purchasing a V850 however I ended up using my Canon 9000F and SilverFast software. The reason I didn't get the nicer V850 scanner was I didn't think the quality of the slides would really take advantage of the nicer scanning capability of the V850. The SilverFast software was huge. Using this software I was able to correct color and scratches better than I could have done with any other scanning software I tried. No way was I going to edit all the scans with Lr or Ps.

Below is a random sample of some of the scans I have made. The slides are 60-70 years old. These are basically the raw images from a SilverFast scan. Color and scratch corrections applied.

Wow, those look great to me! I may need some step by step lessons!

Fishrman's gear list:Fishrman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ2500 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow