I shoot both Full Frame and DX Crop sensor, .... not sure why🤷🏻‍♂️

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
fPrime
fPrime Veteran Member • Posts: 3,500
Re: I shoot both Full Frame and DX Crop sensor, .... not sure why🤷🏻‍♂️

Same here, except I know exactly why I shoot both. I’ve got two full frame cameras but a total of five DX bodies. My rationale for shooting them all is two-fold.

First, I generally prefer the color rendering of CCD cameras and those can only be found in crop bodies (the Leica M9 being the sole full frame exception). When the light is bright and there’s no need for extremely shallow DOF, then my DX cameras yield the better image quality for me.

The second reason is travel. I generally shoot my DX cameras with zooms that take me from 11mm to 200mm with just three small lenses. That makes the kit convenient for carry-on purposes. My full frame kit consists mostly of fast primes for shallower DOF, but it is much more bulky to travel with.

That being said, full frame is indispensable to me for shooting action, working in low light, and mounting fast primes as under those conditions it gives me better image quality than my crop bodies can.

fPrime

-- hide signature --

Half of my heart is a shotgun wedding to a bride with a paper ring,
And half of my heart is the part of a man who's never truly loved anything.

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D700
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow