I shoot both Full Frame and DX Crop sensor, .... not sure why🤷🏻‍♂️

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,415
Re: I shoot both Full Frame and DX Crop sensor, .... not sure why🤷🏻‍♂️

DJMusic wrote:

I moved from primarily DX (D7200) to primarily FX (D780) in February of this year. Really enjoying the FX camera, though I do occasionally use the DX as well. Shot an outdoor event last week with the FX as primary, and DX for the 10-24 DX lens. In good light, there's very little difference except depth of field. In low light, the FX is noticably better from a noise perspective. A few weeks ago I took pictures at a fiend's wedding (not the primary photographer), and even backlit shots had an amazing amount of flexibiity in post-processing.

The reason I also use FX is low light and high dynamics, the rest is DX and N1.

I shot tens of thousands of images with the DX camera, and always loved the low-light performance. Now when I look back, I am seeing noise that didn't stand out before. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just one factor I consider when choosing which camera to take out. I find myself more willing to accept higher ISO values with FX than DX.

Even a fairly basic D7500 handles high ISO better than a D7200 — technology moves forward!

The DX is nice for telephoto work since it has the crop factor. I've tried it with both the Tamron 150-600 and the Tamron 100-400, and both function well.

I love the N1 for its 2.7 crop factor.

I'm not one to upgrade just because something is new and shiny. My plans were originally to go to a Z6, but decided not to buy due to my collection of lenses and lack of compatibility with the FTZ adapter. Two days after this decision, the D780 was announced. The rest, as they say, is history. I essentially get a Z6 in live-view, with the familiarity and hand feel of a DSLR in viewfinder mode.

I hope to get a D780 one day!

At the end of the day, it's really a personal choice. If your 7200 is working for you, it's a fine camera and you'll get many great shots. It's certainly lighter and a very capable tool. Best wishes in your decision-making process.

There are many of us that hope to upgrade to an FX Nikon of some sort, the choice is not that easy!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow