WOULD LIKE SUGGESTIONS ON NEW LANDSCAPE CAMERA

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,669
Re: 5DMkIV is the best alternative

raven4ns2 wrote:

LOL... I had my mind made up almost on the 5Dsr until I read about the last posts on the 5Dmkiv. Now it seems as though I will need to look at it closer. Either camera I'm sure would do the job I need it to do and is a better camera than I am a photographer.

Your input has been a big help in coming to my decision, Thank you once again everyone, it is truly appreciated.

IMO landscape shooting is not easy for a camera - or the photographer 

I think 5DMkIV was the first Canon DSLR. with a new type of sensor (more DR)  - also 80D (ASPS C size) was quite good for landscapes.

In forest (I do not know what kind of forests you have) the light can be problematic. There are deep shadows and at the same time some spots have bright sunlight - that is where good DR is needed and dark shadows should be noise free (if you like to see what there is in the shadow ) Something like 5DmkIV sensor is great for resolution - but the DR is often a problem ( I have seen only some tests )

IMO 5dMkIV is at the moment the best  (affordable) Canon alternative for difficult contrasty landscapes. Enough MPX too.

I use also Fujifilm cameras and they have also a good sensor for landscapes and low light - but IMO 5DMkIV RAW files are easier to adjust and there is perhaps  less noise in dark (almost black) shadows

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR film photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 and X-H1 for nature, walking around ,traveling/landscapes - fantastic 5DMkIV for landscapes, macro , BIF ... .

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow