Nikon Lens Patents

Started Sep 21, 2019 | Discussions thread
bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 10,478
Re: Upcoming Z 14-24mm ?

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

bclaff wrote:

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

Sorry I didn't follow. I was looking at the height covered by the off-axis rays at entry.

I'd say it's more relevant to look at how much of the (physical) aperture is used up by the bundle of rays.

hmm I think that is not telling us how much of the incoming rays made it to the sensor.

Here is an image from goptical:

This illustrates more clearly what I was trying to say. How many of the incoming off-axis rays end up on the sensor. I guess that with wides this is often like above, but if we compare lenses of similar focal length and there is a difference then, would this not indicate the light gathering ability of a lens?

I understand what you're trying to do but light grasp is essentially area times solid angle.

Although the rays look like they are using less of the glass if the angle of view is the same then what matters is how much of the entrance pupil area they are using which in turn is proportional to the physical aperture.

If you insist on looking at the incoming rays then look at the width of the beam (perpendicular distance).

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow