Validating Printer Profiles

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CowZ New Member • Posts: 13
Validating Printer Profiles

Hi all,

after being helped so well with a printing software, I have a next question / followup. I am now investigating how to best profile my printer. I do this more out of fun and theoretical interest than that I hope for real-life visible better image quality. That is to say, I'm rather happy with the default i1Studio Profiler software and results. I expect though, that it may be possible to be better or with less paper. So, now I'm spending paper after paper to improve my profiling workflow using Argyll ;-).

After now having multiple different ways to profile my printer/paper (i1Studio proprietary, and various settings for Argyll), I have problems to decide which workflow is best. I can, of course, print test images and compare them visually, but this is too subjective to me. I would like to find an objective measure.

I am rather sure, that this is possible: I profile my printer, so that he reproduces the colors in the most accurat way. So, with a perfect printer and a perfect ICC profile and perfect paper, I should be able to read the color values with my i1Studio and they should be the same as the values I set in my image creation tool.

But: I get *very* high deltaE values (around Mean 10dE, Max 23dE) and I was hoping for less - even given my poor-man's hardware (i1Studio and rather cheap photoprinter epson ET-7750).

My current workflow: I create a patch set with targen/printtarg and print it with my ICC profile in place. I am expecting that the software&printer is now trying to output the same Lab-Values that are in the created tiff. I use relative colorimetric rendering intent. I also tried to reproduce the x-rite ColorChecker in Gimp and then print the resulting tiff.

I also worry a bit, as I cannot find anything useful on this topic at all.

Kind regards,

Lasse

PS: I posted a similar question to the Argyll mailinglist, but responds were rare/none and I do also not want to limit me to Argyll. Theoretical approaches may also help, as well as usage of other software.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow