What is your adapted lens "system"

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
AdaptedLenses Regular Member • Posts: 469
Re: What is your adapted lens "system"

Will X wrote:

You and I are on the same boat. I was a self proclaimed minimalist. The little quality that's left in me before I embarked on this journey makes me want to reduce the number of adapters to keep and random one-off buys. Plus, this might just help with impulse buys if I don't have an adapter for a lens already. After a bunch of reading, I am not convinced that lenses of the same era really differ that much between brands. The minor color and sharpness between different brand lenses doesn't push me over the edge in finding the right adapter for each lens each time I go out.

I general I agree. Contax isn't really that much better than anything else. Monolta vs Nikon vs Canon isn't all that different, much less all the lesser known brands. Even the Sears 50mm f/2 based on the Ricoh is a good lens for example.

BUT...

Within each brand there are some gems, and some duds. The gems usually command a premium vs the other lenses in the family. And if you want to have a set, you're likely to have some gems at focal lengths you need and some duds (or at least unremarkable).

Some will pick the gems at any given focal length but that bothers me too much. While over all IQ I agree is similar, specific color and contrast are not, and I wouldn't want to try and match a shot from a Minolta MD and a Contax CY.

So the only choice really is to build a set of each, and pick the set based off the focal lengths you want to use most in a given situation!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow