Thoughts on an FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS with a Sony a7r IV

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 1,698
Re: Thoughts on an FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS with a Sony a7r IV

tonyz1 wrote:

AZheaven wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

I have already owned 100-400 GM well before the release of Sigma lens. But even from scratch, I likely will still get Sony lens - 1) So far I still trust and only bought OEM long lenses, Canon or Sony, never ever own any Sigma or Tamron long lenses; 2) in this case, Sony can use TCs while Sigma has no option, or even later Sigma released TC, may still inferior as we see in EF/F mounts; 3) 1/3-stop faster and would be 2/3 stop faster with 1.4x TC provided Sigma ever released 1.4x TC. Sure Sigma is cheaper and lighter that are not really an issue to me.

I have yet to see any shots with the new Sigma of BIF's. And I'm on Fred Miranda, and the Sony Alpha Wildlife Shooters Facebook page. A majority of photos are with the 100-400 or 200-600. Sure, the stills with the Sigma look great. But performance with BIF's is missing. And it's that f6.3 at the long end of the Sigma that I'm not crazy about.

I've shot with the Sony 100-400mm, Sony 200-600mm, and the Sigma 100-400mm. You're not going to see much of a difference between the Sony and Sigma versions for bird in flight since the main constraint is lack of reach. The Sigma is more than capable of handling that job except maybe if you're shooting tiny and fast moving birds and that's purely a function of the Sony 100-400mm having a slightly better AF motor - you're probably better off investing in a tripod and being patient instead.

I also don't think the ability to use teleconverters is an advantage - I don't see much of a difference between f5.6 and f6.3 but f6.3 vs f8 is big. At that point, it just makes sense to get a Sony 200-600mm if you really want 600mm.

I use the Sigma for a compact walking around telephoto lens but if I ever find time to get back into bird in flight - I'd re-buy the 200-600mm as a tripod mounted setup.

Note that some of these images are cropped so resolution isn't apples to apples.

Sony A7R III + Sony 100-400mm + 1.4x TC

Sony A9 + Sigma 100-400mm

Sony A9 + Sigma 100-400mm

Sony A9 + 200-600mm

Sony A7R III + Sony 100-400mm

Thanks for this reply! I've been using the A7III and a rented 200-600 for the past couple of days now. It's not so much big as it's heavy, with a capitol H. When I get the subject in focus its's sharp. But with that weight I can't hold it long enough and carrying it on a strap (Peak Design) affects my shoulders and neck/back. I've been out of it for a while recovering from surgeries. I'm just a 173 lb weakling for now! I rented the 100-400 back in January and it seemed more managable to me.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GF
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow