How large a print can be made from an uncropped Nikon D700?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,392
Re: How large a print can be made from an uncropped Nikon D700?

jebo1 wrote:

I was also curious. So I ordered a print of 40 cm (16 inches) X 60 cm (24 inches) from a good picture taken with my 50 mm AI f 2.0 + D700. These had to be printed on inkjet paper according to the shop because of the size. When I received the print the quality was outstanding far better than the prints I got from a 24 mpx Canon 80 d. I think I could have doubled the size with no problem. The question of how large can you print seems to focus on the number of megapixels. To print that large obviously requires a very sharp photo with sufficient contrast. If you are using zoom lenses it will be hard to achieve these results. It is easier to print a very large picture with a D700 with a quality prime lens than with a D850 with a standard (or any) zoom lens. Motion blur also needs to be avoided and so on.

No, it is not easier to print with the D700 than D850.  The D850 with a half decent zoom will look far better than the D700 with a prime at 16x24.  I remember comparing 16x24 on my Epson 3800 from my D700 and D800.  Immediately obvious the D700 could not compete

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon Z7 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow