Thoughts on an FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS with a Sony a7r IV

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 10,833
Re: Thoughts on an FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS with a Sony a7r IV

LarryInVA wrote:

Keep in mind that I am only an advanced amateur. In my opinion, you will be fine with the Sigma 100-400 DN. Unlike many third party lenses, it is designed for the Sony mirrorless cameras. I did a lot of research before buying mine and am happy I chose it over the Sony version. Take a look at the Dustin Abbot review on YouTube. Sharpness is not an issue with this lens!

Personally, one reason I initially went to mirrorless for my recent cameras is size and weight. Howwver, the Sony A7R4 is not a small camera, all things considered. Adding the Sony 100-400 will increase the load and potentially take some of the fun out of the trip for little or no gain. The Sigma is substantially lighter and easier to handle.

I avoid teleconverters when I consider the A7R4. You can program one of the buttons to switch between 61mp full frame to 26 mp apc frame which is the same as using a 1.5x teleconverter. That will turn either 100-400 lens into a 150-600mm without losing the stop or image degradation you would with a teleconverter. A 26mp image beats many of the other Sony cameras.

Depends on what lenses. 1.4x TC still performs very well on 100-400 GM and 200-600 G. I'd avoid 2.0x TC unless Sony super-tele prime lenses.

With 1.4x TC, you get 580mm/F8.0 FL and still have full 61mp FF IQ on A7r IV. with APS-C crop mode, you get 600mm/F5.6 but only 26mp APS-C IQ (resolution/sharpness, DR, high ISO etc). FF has at least one-stop advantage over APS-C in DR and high ISO. I have all these lenses and 1.4x TC. 100-400 GM with 1.4x TC at least have the same if not better overall IQ than bare lens under APS-C mode if we compared at the same output size.

With the money you save buying the Sigma version you could pick up another lens to use with landscape views. I have the 24-105 which is highly rated by many in these forums. I love it.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GF
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow