Still not happy with the D850 AF

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,252
Re: Still not happy with the D850 AF

mais51 wrote:

I notice that most of the people complaining about AF have never used a manual focus lens in their life - be it film era manual focus lens such as Nikkor AIS or current exotic German manual focus lenses - if they've done they wouldn't be too critical about AF.

Personally, particularly with film cameras, manual focus was fine providing you had a bit of time. With a split-screen or other focus screens, you could get a good job; likewise today with the focus assist on ML. Just slow.

I think what's changed is a combination of idiom and tech, so that there is a fashion, at least for some, in wafer-thin depth of field on people, coupled with higher resolution and poring over the pores.

I do understand why people might want to do this for differentiation or selective artistic effect, and to hone their skills and push boundaries. Not for me, and each to their own.

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow