How large a print can be made from an uncropped Nikon D700?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
anotherMike Forum Pro • Posts: 10,104
Re: How large a print can be made from an uncropped Nikon D700?

I agree. On a vast majority of subjects (exceptionally detailed landscape shots maybe the exception), 12x18" is not a difficult bar to cross with a 12mp camera (assuming the shot is sharp, well exposed, etc) at any reasonable viewing distance. Beyond that, it is *highly* dependent upon scene structure and amount of fine detail.

Years ago, when I was shooting the D700, I went to a large photography show and saw 20x30, 24x36 and 30x40 prints from D700 images and D3X images in the Nikon booth, of subjects from reasonably detailed industrial stuff to highly detailed landscape. Frankly, the D700 shots looked horrid in comparison. At these print sizes, with those subject matters, the lack of resolution was immediately apparent even at very "loose" viewing distances. So in the end, there is no one universal answer, because each situation, each matrix of viewing distance, print size and subject matter are different. But for 12x18 - yea, not much of a problem at all.

-m

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow