Recommended Portrait Tutorials

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Landscrape Regular Member • Posts: 135
Re: Three photographers that come to mind:

Ed Shapiro wrote:

RDKirk wrote:

Ed Shapiro wrote:

The original poster inquired about tutorials in portraiture. True enough, some of the recommendations were about photographers of the past, and some of the work may be "dated" and some of the technical information pertains to film-based technology as opposed to digital imaging. There are, however, certain aspects of portraiture that do not change over time and many of the most important principles are not beig taught by many of the contemporary teachers, writers, and instructors. Regardless of the era, light is light, aspects of facial structure are the same in human beings, and application of tonal range, lighting ratios, and contrast, basic composition are still all at the foundation of BASIC skills and techniques. Often, many of the more popular and more modern portrait photographers know much of the aforementioned, perhaps apply all of it themselves, have natural abilities but do not or can not break these things down and teach them in a nuts and bolts manner.

For that matter, I still study the work of classical portrait painters for their use of light upon the human face.

I am a big fan of the Flemish painters- have you noticed anything about the skin tones in Rembrandt and Vermeer paintings?

Rembrand and Vermeer are both Dutch painters. Sorry, that's where I am from. I just had to put that straight. Flemish painters are from Belgium; that's just a whole different country ;).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow