What is the best f stop in MFT for landscape photography?

Started Sep 1, 2020 | Discussions thread
Sergey_Green
Sergey_Green Forum Pro • Posts: 12,053
Re: What is the best f stop in MFT for landscape photography?

acfo wrote:

Sergey_Green wrote:

acfo wrote:

Herrbill wrote:

Generally speaking, the sharpest lens for landscape photography ranges from f/4 to f/16. At least this is what I read in the literature.

Do I need to make adjustments for MFT or do I use them as is?

PS: I have also posted this thread in the Landscape forum but I don't see a lot of activity there hence the reposting here.

Some advice once valid for 35mm analog cameras is not valid for digital and/or m43 cameras.

Apart from depth of field the advice to stop down used to be valid because analog lenses tended to soft wide open and vignetting is the srongest wide open. All m43 lenses I know are quite sharp wide open and the vignetting is removed digitally in camera.

The advice to keep below f16 on a 35mm camera is due to diffraction softening the image the more you stop down. I suspect that because even modern kit lenses are so much sharper than vintage glass I haven't been bothered by diffraction yet and just happily use the f-stop I need. That said, f4 to f8 is the sharpest range for most m43 lenses.

F8, did you actually compare it to the other settings? I mean what the image looks like.

Yes. Having done that I will happily shoot my lenses wide open - except for the Oly 75-300 at 300mm which looks sharper to me stopped down to f7.1 or f8.

Sharper at f/8, really? Difficult to believe.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow