RX10IV Settings For Bird Photography

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
OP bcalvanese Forum Member • Posts: 62
Re: RX10IV Settings For Bird Photography

cheddarman wrote:

bcalvanese wrote:

Looking for pointers on the best mode/settings/focusing for bird photography using the RX10IV.

I am a beginner, but i have a very basic understanding of aperture/shutter speed/ISO/etc..., and have been trying to experiment with the different shooting modes and settings.

It would be helpful to know what other people use and why they use certain settings.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Hi Bob and welcome. There are two main categories in bird photography, perched and in flight (BIF).

For stationary birds I use "A" priority with Aperture set to f4, ISO "Auto" set between 100-1600, Focus "Flexible Spot" (S), Drive Mode usually "Single Shot" but sometimes "Continuous" - Mid, Exposure "Centre". Have Steady Shot enabled.

For BIF I have set up the following set of settings which I can access just by pressing the Focus Hold button:

"S" Priority with Shutter set to 1/3200, again ISO "Auto" between 100-1600, Aperture f4, Focus Area "Wide", Drive Mode "Continuous" Mid and EV +1.7 as one is most often pointing up at a bright sky.

Just my preference at the moment but a good starting point for you. Hope it helps.

Neither of these images are my best, just handy at time of posting.

Great shots. I will try your settings as a starting point.

bcalvanese's gear list:bcalvanese's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow