Sergey_Green
Sergey_Green Forum Pro • Posts: 12,053
Re: Largely irrelevant argument

Gary from Seattle wrote:

SonyX wrote:

Gary from Seattle wrote:

SonyX wrote:

Gary from Seattle wrote:

If you actually take images most lenses are still right at peak resolution at F5.6 or so and the fall-off even to F8 or F9 is so minor as to be irrelevant. To get the same image with FF (landscape or wildlife) you would have to shoot for DOF F16 to F18 - well into diffraction.

In MFT world - it is around f/2.8-4
Only some zooms will have better performance after f/5.6.

So in full frame to capture what I would at F7.1, say with the Sony 24-70, diffraction would amount to about 30%. My lenses lose less. The FE and 300 are at or near peak at F5.6 m4/3.

But what would I know? I've shot with m4/3 gear for six years and don't just troll alternative forums like you.

"If you actually take images most lenses are still right at peak resolution at F5.6"
may be most of your lenses, this could be different situation.
According to https://www.lenstip.com/lenses_reviews.html , peak performance of the MFT lenses is around f/4 for 16mp sensor. Naturally, some "slow" lenses could have better performance stopped down above f/4
According to their tests - 75/1.8, even wide open, has much better resolution than at f/8. Same story with 12-45/4, 12-35/2.8 and many other lenses.

Pls share your source, other than your head, which force you to make that bold statement and show where I'm trolling!

Lenstips or Optical Limits. My experience actually shows the latter to be more accurate for my lenses, 12-40, 35-100, 60, 300 F4. I do not see diffraction on the 12-40 at F7.1 and minimally at F8.

Why, because it is all blurry anyway?

It is often necessary to go to F7.1 in landscape to hold DOF. (That would be F14.2 in FF). From Optical Limits on average the 12-40 loses probably about 8% at F7.1 and 15% at F8.

The very closest half dozen flowers here at the bottom of the frame are not quite in focus at F7.1

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow