A9 vs A7rIV

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
crestify Junior Member • Posts: 31
A9 vs A7rIV

Hi,

I have an a7rII, and I'm upgrading in a few months. I'm torn between a9 and a7riv. Any help is much appreciated.

a9

Pros:

• Cheaper than the a7riv
  • Best AF available (the AF is the main reason I'm upgrading)
  • Smaller files
  • I believe it would complement the a7rii pretty well, but please, let me know your experience/thoughts

Cons:

• 24mp is enough for most situations, but I'm used to the 42mp of the a7rii, and I believe that 35-45mp is pretty much the sweet spot
  • Would have to carry 2 cameras (which could also be a pro - no changing lenses while traveling)
  • I shoot raw, but it would be nice to have SOOC jpegs with colors that I perceive as pleasant

a7riv

Pros:

• I can sell the a7rii to fund the a7riv
  • I would only need one camera
  • Good SOOC jpegs

Cons:

• The biggest con are the 61mp... I don't need that many, I don't want to deal with huge 120mb raws and buy expensive SD cards for something I don't need. Maybe I'll just get used to it, but I don't know.
  • Worse DR

I'm not a pro, I shoot for fun (mostly landscape, and portrait while traveling). No sports, no BIF. Not interested in video (stills only).

I believe I'd really enjoy having great AF to compensate my lack of skill, especially taking into consideration that the people I travel with don't have the patience to wait while I take photos, which results in disappointment after I return, and find OOF shots. On the other hand, I don't want to part with the 42mp.

Again, any help is much appreciated.

crestify's gear list:crestify's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Sony a7R IV Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow