Canon RF 85mm f1.2 (non-DS) vs. other 85mm/105mm/135mm lenses? (Sony GM)

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
jay jay02
jay jay02 Contributing Member • Posts: 548
Re: Canon RF 85mm f1.2 (non-DS) vs. other 85mm/105mm/135mm lenses? (Sony GM)

MattPointZero wrote:

Jeff108 wrote:

I’m a Sony portrait shooter (A7Riv) and I’m gonna get an R5. The RF glass seems very intriguing. On the Sony end I was never a fan of the 85GM. I’m not surprised that in all the new reviews that I’ve seen, the new Sigma 85 seems to universally outclass the GM. The Canon RF 85mm seems be have been reviewed well. The Sony 135GM is great and at the moment Canon doesn’t have an answer on the RF level.

The Canon 50mm RF 1.2 looks amazing as well as the 70-200. The Sony 70-200 GM , is the worst GM in the lot. It’s a weakness in the Sony lineup. In the 50mm range Sony has the 55mm and the 50 1.4. I have the 55, it’s a nice lens but I wouldn’t put it in the special category .

Im gonna start with the RF 85mm and the 70-200

Jeff

Nice to not feel out on a limb on my own - I just ordered the R5 and 85mm 1.2 this morning.

I completely agree about the 85mm GM, I was never that impressed, which is why I have had the 135mm GM - but I am also being driven largely by the RF glass.

Big decision, the sony kit is undeniably great, I am hoping this is a good move nonetheless!

I was blown away with the quality of the files from the RF 70-200 2.8, it's a masterpiece!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow