2 Kenko 2xTeleconverters bad or good idea?

Started Jul 28, 2020 | Discussions thread
lim yau tong
lim yau tong Veteran Member • Posts: 4,066
Re: 2 Kenko 2xTeleconverters bad or good idea?

Gabriel Lam wrote:

I have an a7iii with tamron 150-600 g2 A-mount .

I took this pic with a single 2xTC Teleplus mc4 for Amount (still available in BHphotovideo) from Kenko and a 16mm extension tube.
I'm very happy with the results but it still required cropping to get closer to the moon.
Also roughly what 'focal length' is needed to fill the frame?

I am also able to take photos of planets with stacking, but yet again, this one requires extreme crop to see much.

Would adding another 2xTC from Kenko though teleconverter stacking be helpful? I'm aware of the light loss but will the image be degraded too much?
Yes its probably better to get a telescope but that would be another $3-5K CAD down the drain so just wanna see what my <$150 option should be.

This below is the non-cropped version. @600mm with 2xTC and 16mm extension tube

Try the in-camera Clear Image Zoom instead of adding more extender.  You can zoom up to 2X but I will limit it to 1.7X  to avaoid pixelation. The good thing about Clear Image Zoom is that it utilises pixel interpolation thus keeping the original pixel count. Try it as it doesn't cost you anything extra.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/limyautongphotography
yau tong

lim yau tong's gear list:lim yau tong's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +33 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow