Canon RF 85mm f1.2 (non-DS) vs. other 85mm/105mm/135mm lenses? (Sony GM)

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
AlphaPhotography
OP AlphaPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 1,971
Re: Canon RF 85mm f1.2 (non-DS) vs. other 85mm/105mm/135mm lenses? (Sony GM)

MattPointZero wrote:

AlphaPhotography wrote:

Any previous Sony shooters compared the RF Canon 85mm f1.2 against some other top portrait glass? (Sony 85mm f1.4 GM, Sigma 105mm f1.4, Sony 135mm GM)

I’m currently shooting portraits with the Sony 135mm f1.8 GM on the A7RIV which is an astonishingly good combo. The sharpness/colors/etc are probably the best I’ve ever seen but I’ve heard great things about the RF lenses and would love to see how some of them compare against other manufacturer’s offerings

(I also own an R5 and A9II so I’m trying to decide which system to invest more into)

I'm really interested in this too.

I run an A7Riv with the 135mm GM and the sigma 35mm 1.2, two great lenses.

I haven't quite fallen in love with the A7Riv though - I find it a bit noisy and lacking detail as soon as you move off base ISO (where it is fantastic)

I am a portrait shooter, some very occasional event work - I'd like to go to the R5 and 85mm 1.2, but aside from supply issues, it is still too expensive at the moment. I am weighing up whether to pick up the 85mm and maybe the RF 35mm along with the older Eos R body and use my money to invest in the great lens now with a view to upgrade the body next year.

I am seeing lots of people upgrading through the canon range, but not many moving from Sony to Canon Mirrorless, perhaps for obvious reasons to date. I'd love to see some side by side comparison between the 135 GM and the RF 85 1.2, but it's not an obvious comparison at the different FL, so I can't find examples

The Sigma 35mm f1.2 is the next lens I was planning on getting but after using the R5 I may wait for a Canon RF 35mm f1.2. In fact I may sell my A7RIV and then decide whether to keep my A9II that I just picked up or the R5. I feel the same way as you about the A7RIV after using the R5/A9II. High ISO performance isn't great on the A7RIV and it's sluggish in COMPARISON with a much louder shutter and worse AF.

It feels silly to have two systems but I have the A7SIII on pre-order specifically for reliable video and I've been loving the R5 for photos.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow