I cancelled. I reordered. I'm a bonehead. Locked

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
AlphaPhotography
AlphaPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 1,971
Re: I cancelled. I reordered. I'm a bonehead.

dmanthree wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

tqlla wrote:

AlphaPhotography wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

I completely forgot that MA was having a "tax free weekend" this weekend. So I cancelled my R5 order and reordered today, without the sales tax. Saves more than a couple hundred bucks, but I'm further down the que. Oh, well.

I thought MA's tax free weekend only applied to items under $2500?

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/sales-tax-holiday-frequently-asked-questions#:~:text=The%20sales%20tax%20holiday%20for,be%20exempt%20from%20sales%20tax.

I wonder if retailers can split a purchase into 2 in order to meet this?

Wait a minute! The website at the bottom says it does apply to items more than $2500 (Like an R5 and an R6 with kit lens). Did you know this or is there are way to buy and R5 under those conditions?

If you spend more than $2,500 on an item, the entire amount paid for the item is subject to sales tax, not just the amount that exceeds that threshold. There is, however, an exemption with respect to clothing. An item of clothing is generally exempt from the sales tax unless the item costs more than $175. If it does, only the amount over $175 is subject to tax. If on the sales tax holiday, the price of an item of clothing exceeds $2,500, the first $175 is not subject to tax.

Hmmm....

I bought the body and a second battery. I wonder if that's why there's no tax; it was less than the $2,500 per item?

What was "less than $2,500 per item"? The R5 was far more than $2,500, correct?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow