The entire Milkyway, how do you...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
elgol20
OP elgol20 Contributing Member • Posts: 806
Re: The entire Milkyway, how do you...

AstroLauro wrote:

Hi

sorry to barge in and ask point blank but: where could I learn about the challenges involved in making Milky Way mosaic/panorama? I don’t understand quite at all what you’re talking about (calibrating panels??) despite having googled and read info about Milky Way panoramas, they all make it seem easier than what appears to be the actual problem in this thread ? Thanks for any pointers!

where to learn? The problem with what can be found in the net is that it omits the most crucial learning steps inbetween, all these failures and rise-agains - and... most important, there is no real ideal way. What you might do is get some good book on AP and read, maybe Charles Bracken's "deep sky imaging primer". Since many things are quite technical one might need the fitting language that is understandable. But if you only do landscapes with some milkyway all in all might be too much anyway.

What I do is stack each panel, that is a single frame, one unchanged skyview, with all calibration frames (at least flats and bias masters), reduce light pollution and calibrate the colors. With this you get rid of a huge part of sezzion differences. These panels you stitch to mosaics using a suitable projection, preferrably euqirectangular. Maybe look at some pano stitching tutorials for real life. softwares like PTGUI might need some help identifying the stars, socalled control points. Astrosoftwares of pros here. Then you end up with a "raw" mosiac and the real fun part starts ...

elgol20's gear list:elgol20's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Nikon D810A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow