Sigma 105mm F1.4 or Canon 85mm F1.2 for R5

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
AlphaPhotography
AlphaPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 1,971
Re: Sigma 105mm F1.4 or Canon 85mm F1.2 for R5

MikeB_2018 wrote:

I own both and have used both on my R.

The Sigma is a beast (not that the RF 85 isn't). And I really love that lens. I love the compression the bokeh and everything about it other than the weight and how front heavy it is. And DEFINITELY get a UV for the front element. Just saved my 105 from some sand scratches on that filter that could have been my front element.

With all that said, I got into digital in 2009 and went with Canon specifically for the EF 85/1.2 v.II and it has been my favorite lens of all time. I can't say enough good about the images I have created with it. Probably 75-80% of my all time favorite images I have created were with that lens over the last decade.

But the RF 85/1.2 (not the DS) is everything the EF was but even sharper, no CA, and fast AF compared to the EF. (Still not as fast of AF as some other RF lenses), but blows the EF version out of the water in all respects. And I love the bokeh of this lens. I wouldn't get the DS - but that's just me.

It's a tough call. More about what you want to shoot, and what you want to pay. The Sigma 105 AF is very fast on my R with the adapter. One good thing with an adapted lens is you can get the Variable ND adapter and have that built in vs buying 105mm Diameter front filters that cost $300+. You can't do that with the native RF lenses, but those filters aren't as much either.

Ultimately if it was me, and I had to choose I would get the RF 85 if I shot more the studio or more confined outdoor spaces. If I was mostly shooting outdoors on location and had more room, I'd get the 105 Sigma. Keep in mind the mass and weight of the Sigma though. It does give the forearms a workout on long shoots.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions I can try to answer as I have both lenses as well as the EF 85/1.2L II.

Best of luck

Thank you for the feedback. It sounds like it is close to a toss-up or purely FL preference. I think the 85 would be more versatile and better in low-light but I'm not sure how the rendering and background blur compares with the extra compression of the 105mm. Do you find one more pleasing for half and full body portraits? Are they noticeably different rendering if you have them side-by-side wide open? Can you share any similar shots between them or portraits? Thank you

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jnd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow