Slow boot

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,958
Re: Slow boot

teddyboy wrote:

What's the slowest ever Win 10 boot from an SSD you've ever heard of?

I am running Win 10 on a 1TB SSD (Crucial MX500) and the boot time is getting longer and longer. Normally I don't worry about it because I boot up once a day, then things are pretty much ok afterwards. When I timed the boot process its like: mobo splash screen set to about 4-5 seconds, blue Windows logo with spinning dots 145 seconds, welcome screen 2-3 seconds, then desktop.

For me: 14 secs to see the motherboard splash screen (it's a home-build system, and Asus motherboards seem to take about that long unless you tell it to suppress most of the start-up checks), then it's 23 secs before the Windows whirling dots appear and a total of 33 secs before the login screen appears.

There are 4 apps such as Zone Alarm I allowed to startup with Windows, but task manager shows 29 background processes and 82 Windows processes, plus minus a few from boot to boot. Do these numbers look normal? I do have some photo-editing apps and some utility apps installed but none are set to start up with Windows.

Your 145 secs appears really excessive. I doubt it's startup tasks, as most of them don't start until you log in. I've just rebooted and started browser and email, and I have 44 background processes and 94 Windows processes.

I tried disabling all apps from startup, disconnecting all data drives (HDD) and leaving only the boot drive (SSD, 19% used), and even tried a clean boot. Made no diffrence. Sequential read/write from CrystalDisk Mark is 555.2/497.7 so that looks fine. My other Win 10 laptop takes 3-4 seconds to go from blue Windows logo to Welcome screen, then 1-2 seconds to get to desktop, and that is with an older and slower Mushkin SSD.

What could be holding up the boot process? How do I remove unnecessary processes and/or services? I hope I don't have to wipe the drive and reinstall everything just to get rid of some unknown culprit.

Not knowing your hardware or software configuration I can only guess:

• BIOS/UEFI settings: Try booting into the BIOS, make a note of current settings (if there's an option to save settings do that) and then find the "restore factory settings" option.
  • Hardware: I know you've disconnected all drives except C, try reseating memory, PCIe cards, power leads and any other physical connector (including the C drive). When I recently built a new system, the C drive, which is an M.2 drive was not seated in the connector properly. It looks OK, it worked, but very slowly. Weird!
  • Software: incompatible driver combination. If boot has got slower, try rolling back drivers. Device Manager, go through hardware devices, right-click -> properties -> driver, and if the Roll Back option is not greyed out (which means no previous driver) then try rolling back. If that doesn't help, then try checking for new drivers.
  • Windows: run a command prompt as administrator and do "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes) and then "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" to look for problems

Then consider a windows rebuild.  Ignore the rest if you're familiar with rebuilding Windows! Download w10 to an ISO file or thumb drive (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and follow the "Create Windows 10 installation media" bit).  Do a clean build, reformatting C.  Obviously, save everything first!  Use (e.g.) Macrium Reflect to save the complete C image, then make sure you've backed up all your files, and go through everything in c:\users\yourname to make sure you have saved everything you might want.  Make sure you have all program installation files/disks/URLs and licences.  A good way of recording what you have installed is Belarc Advisor, free version at https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor .

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow