"Fuji JPEGs are great!" Are they?

Started Aug 29, 2020 | Discussions thread
RichardRE Regular Member • Posts: 157
Re: "Fuji JPEGs are great!" Are they?

casey1823 wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

I think the jpegs usually put in a very good showing.

Here's a SOOC jpeg (-4 NR, +2 Sharpening, X-T20, Provia) vs the RAF with the Provia profile applied and my default import settings applied in Lightroom (with a couple of tiny tweaks to match the jpeg better - I like the jpeg detail better, I could sharpen up the RAF more, but it wouldn't improve the look of the detail much.

SOOC jpeg vs. RAF with my default import settings (at 100%,)

Here's the same SOOC jpeg vs. with the X-Transformer DNG with my default sharpening settings - you can definitely see improved fine detail in the wood grain, but I think the jpeg still looks good in comparison,

SOOC jpeg vs. Iridient DNG with default settings (at 100%)

Iridient's demosaicing pretty much always produces better results than the SOOC jpegs (and the Adobe processed RAFs) but, IMO, Fuji's jpegs still look pretty great if you can manage to get them right in-camera (especially the highlights and WB).

Thanks for taking the time to do the side by side comparisons. In my opinion, they are so close it's like spitting hair to chose which one is better.

I don't +2 any sharpening, just use 0. I also like to set my shadows to -2. The original post is not like yours, something was different, especially in the shadow area.

I really don't get post like this? We've seen many! It comes down to we have choices, hey if you want to spend hours trying to the best out of a photo, shoot raw, go for it. I love Film Simulations and seeing how close I can get what I want with in-camera jpg.

My point is, shoot what you want. The Raw vs JPG debate will never end, just do what you think is best and don't worry about what anyone else thinks is right.

I agree, if I have to squint to see which has more detail the point is moot to me even when hanging on a wall. I hang mostly 8x10s and a few larger and like  them all.

-- hide signature --

-Richard

RichardRE's gear list:RichardRE's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E3 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow