Still not happy with the D850 AF

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 6,204
Re: Still not happy with the D850 AF

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Allow me to me jog your memory Leonard .......

....... about my first D500 which had focusing issues ......... you insisted it was I was not following ...... "Nikon's official target guide" ...... how could I expect to get decent results? ..... my testing procedures were flawed etc.

I very much suggest you have applied your "interesting" interpretation to what I wrote.

Nikon gives guidance (in all DSLR User's Manuals) on the type of subjects where "AF does not perform well" - page 113 of my D500 User's Manual.

If someone tests using the type of subject where Nikon caution "AF does not perform well" - it seems difficult to accept testing is as good as it could be.

........ and how sending it back to Nikon would just result in them returning it ......... "no fault found" ......... because Nikon says .... bla .... bla .... bla

I very much suggest that you have again applied your "interesting" interpretation to what I wrote.

Nikon can carry out an AF accuracy test - and adjust as necessary if adjustment is required.

If Nikon cannot confirm a fault they seem to return equipment as being within specification.

Nikon service confirmed my findings

Fair enough.

I presume Nikon did not confirm an issue using the type of subject where they advises "AF does not perform well".

Did Nikon service the camera before returning it to you?

If yes was the service satisfactory?

........ in the end I returned it to the seller for another which worked fine ........... and you were proved to be incorrect in your assumptions ..... which is all they were ....... assumptions* ........

Why "in the end".

Nikon was quoting a service delay of four weeks ....... the seller was able to send another within seven days!

Most experienced photographers quickly know when equipment is not working as it should.

Yes ..... that's exactly how I saw it ..... I discovered the AF issue after an testing wider angle lenses ...... about two hours or so ...... a few hours after receiving it .....

On a purchase - new or second hand - it is wise to test within a day or so. Then if there is a problem a prompt exchange or refund if bought from a reputable source can be arranged.

My feedback is based either on supporting pictures (rarely provided these days) - or Nikon's general guidance on "Getting Good Results with Autofocus" where testing methodology is unclear.

When an image is posted where AF should have worked well and did not (I find this uncommon) I advise a repair, exchange or refund is appropriate.

The OP seems to be suffering from what are normal issues of focus shift and is "particularly sensitive to it" ....... the AF-S 105mm F1.4 suffers from it quite markedly.

...... "that does not indicate incompetence from the user" ......

....... but an irritating fault the many portrait lenses suffer from ....... unfortunately DSLRs focus lenses wide open ...... so a different AF fine tune setting for every aperture and at a selection of distances is needed ...... (which is just plain cumbersome)

....... so, you are either going to have to live with what you get ...... or always shoot at the same aperture ...... somewhat limiting ...... especially if you are very picky!

........ indeed the AF-S 105mm F1.4 is a great lens but it's focus shift is excessive......

see here Optical Limits review: ..... under bokeh fringing

https://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/998-nikkorafs10514ff?start=1

It can be clearly seen the point of focus wide open is (100) ....... even given the increasing DOF when stopping down focus cannot hold the "100" in focus .........

........ quite a slip up from Nikon.

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow