Still not happy with the D850 AF

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 20,115
Re: Still not happy with the D850 AF

Nils wrote:

They adjusted it to the lenses, but the issue just simply shifted between different apertures on all of my three D850.

Some lenses (not just Nikon) have some focus shift at different apertures.

I love to shoot open and really take my 1.4s to the max.

Fair enough - though the narrower the dof the "better" the AF subject needs to be for accurate AF.

My best solution has been shooting in C mode and firing off 3-4 shots per frame. Most of the time one is spot on in focus...

This indicates the camera can focus accurate.

When a camera or lens has an AF accuracy issue it should be in the same direction with any lens used on a problem body, or in the same direction with a problem lens on a number of bodies.

The implication is either your typical subjects are not ideal for accurate f1.4 AF, something like camera shake is causing a sharpness issue, or the camera is not being held steady enough for AF to remain in the same position  between shots.

Posting an example of the problem should help clarify what your problem might be.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow