Getting used to EVFs

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dan Paris Contributing Member • Posts: 929
Getting used to EVFs

Hi,

I am a DSLR user for years and I realize that sooner or later I'll need to move to mirrorless for lack of choice. I also realize the potential of MILCs for more advanced AF in particular (since I shoot only RAW, I don't care about  WYSIWYG stuff).

Even though I prefer the concept of OVF (=seeing the reality as it is) I am open minded and, out of curiosity, I tried last week some full-frame MILC bodies in a shop (Canon EOS R, Nikon Z6 and Pana S1). I did not change anything to the settings so I assume that these were the default ones.

My impression was not very positive:

• white balance was way off (the most annoying for me)
  • highlights (i.e. outside views) were totally blown-out
  • hard to see any details in darker areas
  • flickering with artificial light
  • some smear while panning the cameras
  • the picture was pixelized to some extent

Since I have zero experience with MILCs, I'm genuinely interesting to know whether:

• more recent/higher end bodies solve (at least par of) these problems
  • these aspects can be mitigated by choosing different settings
  • these are unavoidable drawbacks of EVFs but this is an acceptable trade-off for all the benefits of MILCs and it does not matter so much as long as you get the job done.

thanks for your feedback !

Dan

Dan Paris's gear list:Dan Paris's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR II Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow