Photography Color Gamut

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,781
May I suggest a different question?

I have read that, since my monitor is incapable of displaying the full aRGB gamut, I would get better correlation between my printed image and my monitor image if I used sRGB throughout from camera to print.

Is this correct?

I think the more useful question is: would using sRGB all the way through give you prints that are closer to the 'true' colors your eyes saw, and/or the colors that you subjectively want to have in the print? The answer to that is: probably not.

There are colors that even your relatively modest monitor can display that your printer cannot print. Conversely, there are colors your monitor--or even the most expensive '100% Adobe RGB' monitor--cannot display that your printer can print. See my fuller explanation and demonstration at the message https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63802616.

In my view, the best approach is to keep the image in the widest gamut practicable until the last possible moment. Having Adobe RGB images means there will be colors in your image that your monitor cannot display, but that should not be a big problem for your image editing except in rare cases.

Would I get better prints if I replaced my monitor with a wide spectrum screen that could display more of the aRGB gamut and allow me to use aRGB though-out the process.

Maybe occasionally slightly better, but I suspect in most cases no better, and in the large majority of cases at most very slightly better. Would such a monitor make it easier to make desired edits to images with colors really pushing the gamut? Maybe. But don't expect a large effect overall.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow