EOS R5, some macro and reptile shots

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JayLT4 Forum Member • Posts: 57
EOS R5, some macro and reptile shots

I took my R5 out to a local indoor butterfly aviary here in Phoenix. When I left, the batteries were around 80% capacity (I was running two batteries in the grip). I took just over 2200 shots total, going between single shot and slow continuous shooting mode. When I was done, I was just under 50% on both batteries. Not bad to roughly 5 hours of random shooting, and much better then I expected!

The inside of the aviary is HOT, usually hovers around 90-95 degrees with high humidity to help replicate the rain-forest environment that most of the butterflies are from. There were no issues with heat at all. This is not overly surprising considering I was not shooting any video, just stills, but it was still nice to see.

I was switching between two lenses throughout the day;

Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS macro
Canon 100-400L MKII

Both lenses worked flawlessly.

The AF was simply amazing! Fast and accurate. I always had issues using the 100-400 for pseudo macro shots on my 90D (even after running through AFMA) but the R5 was nailing the focus as long as I did my part. The Animal Eye AF worked great on reptiles, but had no ideas what a butterfly was...which really wasn't too surprising!

The IBIS seems to work pretty well with the 100mm macro lens. I was able to get sharp shots down to 1/30 sec pretty consistently, and I may be able to get a little better with some more practice. I was never able to go that low on my 90D or 5DS.

What was really nice was how well the R5 retains details in the shadows. I was taking some shots of a green tree boa, and the enclosure for this is quite dark. They discourage the use of a flash so you really need to slow things down. I probably could have raised the ISO even more, but I'm so used to the 90D that I don't like to push it too far. The end result was at least 2-stops underexposed, but Lightroom brought all the details back with no issue.

The best part for me during the day was the EVF. Just amazing. To be able to see a live exposure with a histogram in the corner can't be over-stated. Now I just need to get out and see how well it tracks birds and planes and see if thing it just amazing at everything!

100mm macro lens, 1/20 sec, f/8, ISO 400

100mm macro lens, 1/30 sec, f/8, ISO 800

100mm macro lens, 1/200 sec, f/8, ISO 640

100mm macro lens, 1/200 sec, f/8, ISO 800

100-400L MKII, 400mm, 1/100 sec, f/6.3, ISO 400

100mm macro lens, 1/160 sec, f/8, ISO 640

100mm macro lens, 1/320 sec, f/8, ISO 800

100mm macro lens, 1/60 sec, f/8, ISO 1600

100mm macro lens, 1/60 sec, f/5.6, ISO 3200

-- hide signature --
 JayLT4's gear list:JayLT4's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +8 more
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow