Photography Color Gamut

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
technoid Senior Member • Posts: 2,301
Re: Photography Color Gamut

Fotocorn wrote:

I shoot mainly birds & wildlife, with the occasional portrait and landscape.

My camera is a Nikon D500 used mostly with Ultra Zoom lenses.

I shoot in aRGB. I process in aRGB using Elements 2018 with the Element Plus add-on

I use a LG Flatron IPS 235 27" Monitor for processing. It displays 97% sRGB with a resolution of 95 dpi. I calibrate it fairly often using an older model DataColor Spyder 4 Express and also compare the screen image of a standard file to its color certified print.

I print using an Epson Stylus Photo R3000 using Epson paper and the generic Color Cone Pro K3 pigmented ink.

I print in aRGB.

in recent literature I have read that, since my monitor is incapable of displaying the full aRGB gamut, I would get better correlation between my printed image and my monitor image if I used sRGB throughout from camera to print.

Is this correct?

Sometimes. But how often depends on what you shoot and how often you have colors that are outside of sRGB as well as how conversion to your monitor's sRGB affects the color seen. The monitor has no impact on what is printed so a color that is in Adobe RGB but is shifted (desaturated and usually lightened) on the display will still be printed correctly. Also, there are colors that are in sRGB that can't be printed and colors outside of Adobe RGB than can be printed. It's complicated.

There's an easy way to tell if an image has colors that are being clipped on your monitor.

1. In Photoshop, select Edit-Settings->Desaturate Colors and set the amount at 20%. This slightly desaturates all colors on your display but affects nothing else.

2. Now, in Photoshop when viewing an image in Adobe RGB, select View Soft Proof and select sRGB. Hit (Ctrl Y) which will enable/disable softproof. Any areas you see a change in are colors outside of sRGB and will be clipped by the monitor normally. But since you are operating with the display desaturated 20% this effectively extends the gamut of the monitor.

Don't forget to reset the desaturate setting when done. This is one of the main uses of this function.

Would I get better prints if I replaced my monitor with a wide spectrum screen that could display more of the aRGB gamut and allow me to use aRGB though-out the process.

It is a very expensive purchase !

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow