The entire Milkyway, how do you...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
elgol20
elgol20 Contributing Member • Posts: 807
The entire Milkyway, how do you...

Hi,

clouds since weeks, kind a sad. But as most know it is a chance to pick up what is left behind. As a byproduct I did 40mm milkyway frames here and there with the Sigma Art 40 and am now stitching the panels together. But how? It is kind of tough. APP (astropixelprocessor) is top notch so far in creating mosaics but kind of fails when going large. There is a color gradient the program produces which the guys of the APP team cannot resolve (yet, asked there several times within a year almost):

the gradient is not there in the files, PTGUI does a nice job here without that color mess

which is the sky we saw in Namibia last June 2019. PTGUI does not do the things APP is cabable of (LNC, MBB...), but for me the best solution so far, since I have it. The best way to photograph the milkyway would be having a perfect lens with no vignetting and a perfect sky, close to the zenith. But we took frames till the horizon and so gradients we inevitable. Anyway, for the start I am quite satisfied and motivated to do it better next time. Here is the first part of the complete milkyway as seen in June 2019 in Namibia, done with a unmodified Nikon D750, 40mm, f/1.8 ISO 200, 12 frames each 20 times 2 min:

This is 1/25 of the original file size. What I did: stacking, lightpolution and color calibration in APP, some tweaks in PI trying not to overdo it.

Has anyone of you done a full milkyway project and if yes, how?

The rest will come soon, done in Germany with a lot more trouble. Namibia is truely superb

-- hide signature --

Best regards
_____
Stefan

elgol20's gear list:elgol20's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Nikon D810A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 +8 more
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow