Z50 is not a D7500

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
THKPIC Regular Member • Posts: 393
Z50 is not a D7500

Z50's EVF, back screen, ergonomics and kit lenses- all top notch. Not to small, not to big. Possibly the panacea of small and lite cameras. Possibly...

Kit 16-50mm better than the 12-32mm Panasonic (Consistency across the frame and back lit performance). Plastic mount scratches easily though...

What this is not is a D7500 replacement. The AF is not close. I'm not even talking about tracking around the screen. Single point, C-AF with even slower moving subjects. Not happening- especially in lower light.

D7500 with the cheap-o AF-P lenses yields a fairly high hit rate for fast moving subjects (Consistently experience 90 percent or higher). Even the eye AF feature seems patchy. If the subject moves in a slow and predictable manner you can get a very high hit rate. Sway a little bit side to side and it begins to loose track.
The accessory doors/flaps on the side seem cheap. They should have went with hinged plastic doors with a metal pin and a gasket.

-Auto focus in video is really impressive
-I like the flip down screen
-I definitely like the grip. It's, grippy...

I've seen quite a few reviews that seem to suggest this could "kind of" hang with a prosumer DSLR. Perhaps some moderately fast(er) moving subjects. All I can say is I've tried every setting and to be honest, am somewhat underwhelmed. I wasn't expecting DSLR performance but this is a bit further off than I had expected. I wouldn't even place it between a d5xxx and d7xxx series.

You SHOULD buy this camera if for more casual use. I like picking it up more than the D7500. Better than any contrast based AF system I've used and because it's so nicely designed, it's addicting to pick up and use. BUT, if you like to take a freakishly high amount of in focus shots of your dog running or trotting around grab the D7500/D500.

THKPIC's gear list:THKPIC's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50
Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow