Canon R5 with Spider-Eye auto focus

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP JayLT4 Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: Canon R5 with Spider-Eye auto focus

cpharm86 wrote:

Nice pics! What other R5 menu settings did you use to help with this focus?

I saw your Flickr page, very nice. Where are you at with all these insects?

Thanks!

In terms of AF, I didn't change much at all.  I set it up mainly how I have my 90D and 5DS.

I did program in the dual back-button focus so that the AF-ON button is the main focus method I use, but I have it programmed to retain most of the other settings such as AF points and case.

I set up the * button to engage AF, but also force face tracking and AI SERVO, and in the menu I set Animal for "Subject to detect"

This allowed me to set Spot AF for the AF-ON button so I could get the focus on the spider, then engage face tracking with eye detection.  I've had good luck with the AF on the Canon 100mm lens for macro shooting on all my bodies, the the R5 really seems to lock on a bit faster and the focus point movement is light years beyond either of my other cameras.

As for all the insects, I just find them in my front or back yard here in Phoenix.  It's been too hot lately for a lot of things, but there's always jumping spiders around.  And this year there have been a ton of mantises.  Add in that I've been working from home since March, it's given me a lot more time to actually go out and find them on a quick break!

-- hide signature --
 JayLT4's gear list:JayLT4's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow